La prima giorno

April 28, 2009

My first full day in Roma. After taking a nice shower (I so appreciate this) I got dressed to go out, but it was pouring rain. Rain that would make Seattle jealous. So I waited a bit and realized I could be waiting all day. During a break in the action I ventured out. First stop: the fresh food market Gandina had told me about. There I bought cherry pomodori, fragoli and banane. Success!

Then onto the bank to get the rest of Gandina’s rent money. Found the ATM for Banca di Napoli, inserted card, PIN number and amount. Denied. Went to the bank down the street to Banca di Roma, thinking maybe Napoli just didn’t like me. Went inside. They have these weird doors where you step inside this round entry cubicle. The door then closes behind you and it takes a few moments for the door to open on the other side. Slight panic attack. So far, I’ve decided Italy is not the country for claustrophobics. Saw a machine that looked like an ATM, but I wasn’t sure, so I waited in line. Didn’t realize that people sit while waiting in line. Now I know why. It takes at least 5 minutes for each transaction and there is only one very unhappy teller for the whole bank. At my turn, I explained that the machine wasn’t taking my card. He didn’t speak English and didn’t care. I asked to speak to the manager. He waved me over to a woman. She didn’t look up. When she finally did, she continued to enter numbers into the computer telling to me to wait. She wasn’t any help. Just suggested I try another bank ATM with the Cirrus logo.

Walked past Banca di Napoli again. Saw the Cirrus logo. Tried again. “Not valid for International withdrawls.” Decided to call the bank.

Later, after a $12 phone call, I found out they placed a hold on my card because I didn’t let them know I’d be traveling. Who knew you had to get permission from your bank to travel? Problem solved.

Needed to find lunch and an Internet cafĂ©. Venturing through Piazza del Popolo, I found a side street with an Osteria - Gusto. Went inside. Perfect. Half understood the menu. Ordered the carbonara, my mainstay on this trip. Had a bicchiere of vino rosso. Devine. Got the name of the wine (Cannonau di Sardegna Marghia ’06) to find a bottle later. Saved half of the carbonara for dinner tonight. I felt much better.

Then off to the Internet cafe. It was good to reconnect with the world. Am feeling a bit apprehensive about spending two weeks on my own speaking only broken Italian. Without consistent Internet, it's going to be isolating. Right now, I'm glad I'm not here for 3 months......

No comments:

Post a Comment