On to Roma!


April 27, 2009

Took the Eurostar bullet train to Roma today from Napoli in less than 1.25 hours. Upon arriving, I was easily able to find a taxi, although it took 3 guys to figure out where I was going. My taxi driver was very nice and even let me try out my Italian on him. We found my apartment (a rather non-descript building) and I rang my landlord Gandina, who is about 45 and speaks very good English. My apartment is a separate building from the main building with a small terrace and sun porch. I feel quite safe here as there is a large, heavy exterior gate, then the sun porch door and my front door to go through - along with three keys that aren't marked so you just have to try each of them on every door.

Tonight we are having quite a wind/rain storm. I was able to get out quickly to get some milk, cereal, salami, cheese and wine before the storm hit. I'm afraid my sense of direction is not too good yet, so I didn't want to wander too far away. I found a deli (Alimentare) and the storekeeper was very nice and spoke English so I could buy my American provisions. Thanks to the Archbishop, I remembered to ask for some Frascati wine which I am enjoying as I write this.

Unfortunately, there is no internet in my unit (I was hoping to pirate off another apartment). This is making me feel a bit isolated, as I was used to having access at Jeff and Joanna's. So to send this I will have to find an Internet cafe where I can plug in my Mac, so you may be reading this a few days later.

Tonight I am watching Italian TV and not understanding much of it. I am hoping my comprehension will improve in two weeks. The Rome adventure has officially begun!


The outside gate to my apartment.

Every time I come home, the outdoor terrace greets me.

My living room with the beautiful marble floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment