Sight seeing


April 29, 2009

Today I played tourist. The day looked promising without any rain, but a few clouds. Decided to risk it without an umbrella. I started at Piazza del Popolo and made my way south to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Pantheon. Getting to the Pantheon was not as easy as I had thought – took a detour and ended up in front of Abruzzi Ristorante, where the AB first took me and then I took Gary’s family. As Gandina told me, Rome is a big city. I learned that today by walking at least 4 miles. In my search for Piazza Navona (which is quite well hidden I must say) I found my hotel for the last two nights – Hotel Genio. Not too impressive. I may be changing that.

Had lunch near Piazza Navona. Ordered pasta with tomatoes, capers and olives. Too salty. Didn’t finish it and didn’t want to bring it home. So I need to figure our something for dinner. Got lost several times, but most unsettling was being lost when I really wanted to get home. Finally found the Tiber and walked over the bridge to Castel San Angelo. Walked along the river until I got to my apartment. As long as I can find the river, I can find home.

It turned out to be a beautiful day. Too hot for my coat AND sweater. Finally found a scarf I like for only 10 Euros near the Pantheon. May have to go back to get some more as these are the only ones I’ve found of good quality. Now I really need to find some shoes. It’s really not sandals weather yet and I only brought my Merrells.

Stopped by Alimentari again for water and wine. Was looking forward to seeing my same shopkeeper, but he wasn’t there. Maybe tomorrow. Got some takeaway pizza. They cut to order the amount you want. It was pretty good.

What am I going to do tomorrow? I still haven’t found a coffee bar I like and haven’t had my first latte in Rome. Perhaps that’s tomorrow’s goal. Off to the Internet cafĂ© to catch up on my life.

The Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

The Pantheon

No comments:

Post a Comment