Winding down

May 8, 2009

Now that my days are numbered in Rome, I can already feel the pangs of loss. How can I leave a city so filled with life, love and longing? It has become a metaphor for my own life.

For lunch today I decided to venture to Trastevere again. I was in search of Santa Maria church and the famous restaurant, Sabatini. As I approached the church, I noticed a wedding beginning. I followed the bride in (as did a bunch of other tourists) and sat in the back of the church. Weddings for me are always melancholy. There is happiness for the hope and love the couple feels in that moment and sadness for knowing the challenges and heartbreak they will eventually face. It was a beautiful ceremony (with an Archbishop, no less) and I felt blessed to take part in it.

Across the piazza awaited Sabatini’s. I was one of the first to arrive and was welcomed immediately. I decided to try the special appetizer: a Jewish artichoke, bruschetta and deep-fried pumpkin blossom. It was the best first course ever. And I had caught the eye of Francesco Sabatini who spoke the sweetest Italian to me. He kissed my head and pinched my cheeks. (I think he liked me.) He told me that he first learned English at age 50 – so I think my Italian lessons may just work out. After two glasses of wine and a pasta course, I left with so many memories and a few photos to remember them by. Che bella!

Walking home I thought of how amazing this experience has been. I have met such loving people, eaten amazing food and lived the life of a leisurely Roman. I am truly blessed.

Later in the afternoon, I met with Fr. Mark Haydu of the Patrons of the Arts for the Vatican Museums. Took a cab out to the Legonnaries seminary via Aurelia Way - a very tranquil spot so close to the city. Had a good meeting, although he doesn’t have a job. He gave me a few ideas to follow up on, though. Cabbed back to San Pietro and talked with the driver a bit. Am getting more confident in my language skills, although they are still rudimentary.

Tonight I went out to the Piazza determined to have a glass of wine by myself and read a good book while soaking in the last of the day's sun. I was promptly joined by Davide, a Jewish Italian who wanted to practice his English with me. And so I played along, practicing my Italian on him. He is a computer nerd by day, artist by night. He's flying off to Venice tomorrow, otherwise he'd show me his city. But he gave me his number, just in case. It was harmless and fun. And again showed me that Italian men are much more open, fun and uncomplicated than American men.

Am eating amazing take-away pizza and drinking vino rosso as I write this. Do I really have to go back home? I feel like I've found this new inner strength I never knew I had. Or, it's just the wine. Oh well, it feels good. Now I need to pack for yet another move tomorrow.

The wedding at Santa Maria in Trastevere.

My new favorite lunch spot - Sabatini's

With my new friend Francesco Sabatini.

No comments:

Post a Comment