Today's mission: Find carciofi

Tuesday, May, 5

It’s not really that hard to do in Rome, but I’m in search of the very special carciofi at the very elusive Il Piperno Ristorante. And by elusive, I mean hidden on a small street in the Jewish Ghetto which I found only after asking three people (who all gave me different directions.) But since tenacity is my middle name, I was victorious just in time for lunch.

Carciofi Guida is a specialty here – basically deep fried artichokes - hold the batter. So as soon as I sat down I told the waiter that is why I had come. Within a few moments my wish arrived – they were tender and tasty, but also probably the most expensive artichokes I have ever had at 16 Euros. Since that went so well, I ventured to try the ravioli di ricotta e spinaci. (17 Euros) Amazing. And who could resist dessert when the menu boasted a specialty of le palle di nonno fritte (yes, you translated it correctly if you guessed fried grandpa balls. 7.5 Euros) Deep-fried ricotta with chocolate. Not too sweet, perfect with the rest of my Barrolo wine. So this was probably my most expensive lunch coming in at 54 Euros but also the most memorable so far. I had the amazing realization that great food is what makes me truly happy. So Rome is a good place to be.

Some people photograph monuments; I photograph my food.

Carciofi Guida - delish!

My main course - spinach and ricotta ravioli.

Le palle di nonno fritte.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Rome is as wonderful as your writing, then it truly must be an incredible city! I have enjoyed your daily reports to no end, and can nearly taste the tomatoes and strawberries, pastas and artichokes (not to mention fried grandfather balls!).

    ReplyDelete