Lunch with 200 young, single men

May 4, 2009

I had the BEST day today. It started out a bit rough as I still had a lingering sore throat. But I was determined to take the Scavi tour at St. Peter’s and have my interview with the Monsignor. So off I went a bit before 9 am over the bridge to the Vatican. Arrivo in anticipo (I arrived early) with plenty of time to find the Swiss guards and the entry to the Excavations Office. At 9:30 am I met the tour and we went 70 meters under St. Peter’s to the first century graveyard the duomo was built on. I had no idea this existed, even after four visits to the Vatican. It was an amazing tour of both Christian and pagan graves for some of Rome’s wealthiest citizens. The highlight was finding St. Peter’s original grave and the memorial where scientists found his relics (they were not in his grave, but moved by Constantine to a memorial in the third century). They are still kept in this memorial three floors below the High Altar. I highly recommend this tour for anyone coming to Rome, but you must request tickets months in advance as they only let in 100 people a day.

I had time for a coffee and then off to the North American College for my interview with the Monsignor Mueggenborg. It was a great meeting - the Monsignor gave me a full tour of the seminary including the wonderful rooftop deck overlooking the dome of St. Peter’s. Unfortunately, they do not have any positions available in Rome, but there is a job in Washington, D.C. The Monsignor is forwarding my resume to the Executive Director there, but he was quick to tell me it would not pay very well.

Then, I was invited to pranzo (lunch) with the entire seminary. Yes, I had lunch with 200 young, single men. Okay, they are TECHNICALLY married to the church, but not yet…..

It was great to have the chance to talk with these young men – they will all make excellent priests one day. It made my day – I hope it made theirs.

Back home to my flat to figure out my internet difficulties. But first I rang the bell of my next door neighbor – Catholic News Service, which rents the apartment next to me. I introduced myself and met three reporters working out of this office. We went downstairs for coffee and talked about finding me a job in Rome. Such a great group of people – think I may have made my first friends!

So a very good day, indeed. Now to take care of my cold with a good bottle of red wine and pizza. This is living!

No comments:

Post a Comment