La prima de maggio

May 1, 2009

I think I have officially hit the wall. My walk today started in the Borghese Gardens and continued down through Via Veneto which is a very upscale area with only the best hotels and restaurants (yes, I could get used to it here.) Then I got lost, as usual, looking for St. Susanna church and wound up on the top of the Spanish Steps. It was a mob scene, given that today is a holiday and there is no shopping to distract the tourists.

I wanted to find a quiet place for lunch so I headed toward the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, an area I also always get lost in. I saw signs to Piazza Farnese, which is close to my next apartment and also where I had originally wanted to stay with the nuns of St. Bridgit, but they were full (did someone call to warn them about me?) I found a small cafĂ© where I was the first for lunch. I ordered Roman artichokes and mushroom linguine. The artichokes were boiled and smothered in olive oil – okay - but I much prefer them grilled a la Rockin’Fish. The pasta was also so-so. But the host was charming and a guitar player came over and played Volare, so that really made the meal.

Then I rang the doorbell at St. Bridgit’s. The nun invited me in but told me I would need to come back for the tour at 5:30 pm to see where St. Bridgit lived. I’ll try that next week. Then only a few blocks down Bancchi del la Vecchio I found my next apartment. I really like this area and I think it will be a great home base to explore Southern Rome. From here, it’s just a short trip over the bridge and down the street to the Vatican, so I couldn’t resist. Went inside St. Peter’s – always a very sacred and emotional experience.

Then back up river to home. On the way stopped by Hotel Locarno where Gandina said I could find wifi and confirmed that this was available for the price of a drink. It is a beautiful small hotel right down a side street next to Piazza del Popolo. That is my plan for tonight.

So probably another 4-5 miles logged today. I think I need a day off. Tomorrow is Saturday and move day. Perhaps Sunday will fit the bill.

The Borgese Gardens

My first Roman artichoke

St. Peter's

No comments:

Post a Comment